Ballistics Research Centre and Testing Range (ISO 9001:2015 Certified)
Division of Forensic Physical Sciences
Most of the instruments are useful for the assessment of the physical characterization of the materials those are usually done in any physical evidence without the involvement of the destruction Various ranges of the microscopes are available for the purpose of establishing the morphological and morphometrictraits.
Layered Voice analyzer and the Eye detect are the instruments useful for the detection of deception based on voice spectrum and the finer movement of the eyes.
Zeta sizer is useful for the characterization of the materials in the nano scales. It is also useful to establish the sizes and the zeta potential. The atomic force microscope is one of most recent addition to this laboratory. This is one of the most sophisticated instruments useful for the purpose of evaluating the surface roughness, characterization of the materials with the nano scale scratch, etching, polishing etc.
Laboratory for Multimedia Forensics
Laboratory of Forensic Biotechnology
The research thrust areas of the lab are DNA profiling, forensic proteomics, microbial forensic and wildlife forensic. Currently numbers of research projects are sponsored by Government funding agencies like GUJCOST and GSBTM.
Major Instrumental Facility:
- Gel Documentationsystem
- Microplate Reader
- 2D-Gel andSDS-PAGE
- Ultrapure Water PurificationSystem
International Centre for Humanitarian Forensics (ICHF)
This is a novel initiative from the highly specialized academic institution of forensic, investigative and security sciences, the GFSU in collaboration with the internationally acclaimed organization for the humanitarian services, the ICRC
- Scientific identification of victims of mass disasters, war and conflicts of any origin
- Dignified management of dead with scientific application
- Psychological support for the victims
- Facilitating performance of rites in a socio cultural perspective
- Comprehensive management of the disaster victims in a loop of well coordinated group
- Facilitating the social assistance through govermental organizations Professional Activities
This centre has been imparting training to the officers of various agencies involved in the disaster management across country. It has been roping in experts from across the globe with the special emphasis on scientific management of the disaster victims. This centre is contemplating to provide academic programs to hone up the skills of the specific target groups involved in the concerned area. Consultancy service is the cornerstone of this institution. Composite research work is being undertaken to enhance the modalities related to management of the victims.
Centre of Excellence for Research and Analysis of Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS)
The illegal drug trafficking and drug trade is an intercontinental bootleg market dedicated to the cultivation, manufacture, distribution and sale of narcotic and psychotropic drugs that are subject to drug prohibition laws. Drug and drug concomitant problems are one of the core areas of research throughout the world. The menace has extended its shadow beyond geographical boundaries. The drug trafficking scenario in India is largely attributed to various external and internal determinant. It engenders the diverse economic and financial consequences. Gujarat Forensic Sciences University has been conferred with Centre of excellence for NDPS by Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. It is a government organization established with a mission to diminish the drug of abuse cases and the total convictions in narcotic cases and to combat against the drug trafficking. It is mandate to assist several central and state agencies to react to the instability and insecurity caused by crimes like the smuggling of illicit drugs. Through research and development CoE will assist the other government agencies to bridge the gap between different forensic science laboratories by developing the database of narcotic and psychotropic substances under one roof. The latest technologies would be developed to identify designer drugs, precursor chemicals and other impurities in the illicit drugs seized by the law enforcement agencies. Through the educational campaign like seminar, conferences, workshop, CoE will educate various law agencies, scientific fraternities and other stake holders to identify current upcoming trends in drug trafficking, drug abuse cases and new challenges in their analysis leading to rapid court convictions of NDPS.
Objectives of the Laboratory
- To conduct research in different zones of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances to facilitate the law enforcement agencies in quick conviction of the narcotic cases.
- To acquaint and create expertise in scientific fraternity in the advanced areas of instrumental analysis of NDPS and designer drugs.
- To create state of art centralised facilities in inter-disciplinary areas of NDPS drugs analysis.
- To create data base of NDPS drugs to establish network between Forensic Science Laboratories and other laboratories engaged in Narcotic Drugs analysis.
- To create a facility for quality management system and proficiency testing programs related to NDPS drugs.
Forensic Chemistry and Toxicology Laboratory
Wet Laboratory: (Forensic Chemistry & Toxicology)
Elemental Analysis Laboratory
The laboratory is engaged in execution of academics related practical, training of ITEC and other law enforcement officers, Research and Consultancy to various organizations.
Forensic Electrochemical and Chemistry Research Laboratory
The laboratory houses instruments like Cyclic Voltammetry, Electrochemical Work Station, Automatic Solvent Extractor, Super Critical Fluid Extraction Technique, Probe Sonicator, Viscometer cum Densitometer, Homogenizer, Potentiometer Auto-titrator, FTNIR (Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy) etc. The laboratory is engaged in execution of academics related practical’s, training of ITEC and other law enforcement officers, Research and Consultancy to various organizations.
Laboratory of Forensic Odontology and Radiology
The research thrust areas of the laboratory are – Human Identification through dental structures, 2D & 3D Forensic Facial Reconstruction, Medico-Legal Documentation and Analysis, Forensic Pathology and Radiology, Forensic Dental Genetics (DNA), etc.
- Advanced Dental Chair and Instrumentations
- Advanced Research Microscope
- Soft & Hard Tissue Microtome
- Portable Digital X-ray and Radiovisuography (RVG) Unit
- Digital Orthopantomograpm and Cephalogram Unit
- 3D Scanners and 3D Printer, etc.