M.Phil. Clinical Psychology is one of the prestigious programs of the School of Behavioural Science, National Forensic Sciences University, erstwhile, Gujarat Forensic Sciences University, Gandhinagar, Gujarat. The inception of the course occurred in 2011 under the then named Institute of Behavioural Science, GFSU (erstwhile) and has continued as a flagship program of the varsity. The University is recognized as the Institute of National Importance (INI) by the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. The course is recognized by the Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) which is a statutory body viz., Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India.
M.Phil in clinical psychology program is a two year professional training program that is considered essential, professional/education qualification for clinical practice or carrying teaching activities in the field. The aim of this course is to prepare the trainee to function as a qualified professional Clinical Psychologist in the area of mental and physical health by offering diagnostic, therapeutic, rehabilitative, administrative services, and to work towards promoting the well-being and quality-of-life of individuals. The program framework is cohesive integration of multiple professional components including academic knowledge, clinical acumen, practicum and apprenticeship. These components facilitate competencies in the development of various crucial components like clinical practice, teaching, supervision, research and administration. The practicum and clinical skill components have been designed to hold, integrate, and consolidate associated knowledge base.Learning Resource Center
Learning Resource Centre is inclusive of Computers with Internet facilities, together with a voluminous collection of both Electronic & Printed – Books, Journals, Paper Reviews and Articles in the domain of Clinical Psychology, Neuropsychology, Social Psychology, Research Methodology, Health Psychology and other Behavioural Science areas.
M.A./M.SC degree in psychology with a minimum of 55% marks in aggregate, preferably with special Paper in Clinical Psychology. (50 % or equivalent marks for SC/ST and PwD category)
Rs. 1,20,000 (Tuition Fee)/Year + Other University Fee
Number of Seats
Part - I (I Year)
Paper I: Psychosocial Foundation of Behavior and Psychopathology
Paper II: Statistics and Research Methodology
Paper III: Psychiatry
Practical: Psychological Assessments including Viva - Voce
Submission: Five full-length Psychodiagnostic Records, out of which one record each should be related to, child and Neuropsychological Assessment. The records should include a summary of the clinical history organized under relevant headings, and a discussion on a) rationale for testing, b) areas to be investigated, c) tests administered and their rationale d) test findings and impression.Part - II (II Year)
Paper I: Biological Foundations of Behavior
Paper II: Psychotherapy and Counseling
Paper III: Behavioral Medicine
Practical: Psychological Therapies including Viva-Voce
Submission: Five fully worked-out Psychotherapy records, out of which one should be Child Therapy record. The records should include a summary of the clinical history organized under relevant headings, and a discussion on a) reasons for intervention(s), b) areas to be focused including short and long-term objectives, c) type and technique of intervention employed and rationale d) therapy processes, e) changes in therapy or objectives, if any, and the reasons for the same, f) outcome, g) prevention strategies, f) future plans.
Dissertation: Under the guidance of a Clinical Psychology faculty member with Ph.D. or minimum 2- year experience (post-qualification of M.Phil.) in clinical teaching or clinical research.
- Students will be able to work as qualified Clinical Psychologist in the field of mental health across the country in various health and industrial sectors and they can also initiate their own private practice and consultation.
- Students will be capable of diagnosing, assessing through psychological tests and providing appropriate psychological interventions, consultation and rehabilitative measures to the person with mental health problems.
- Students will be skillful in dealing with various age groups of cases like child, adult and geriatric population with psychological problems.
- Students will be able to develop understanding and acumen for the researches in the field and can take part in various national and international projects.
- It includes the Clinical Supervised training with Psychological Assessments, Psychological Counselling and Psychotherapies like Cognitive Behavioural Therapies, Behavioural Therapies, Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapies, Dialectical Behaviour Therapies and so on
- Also, it is a certification centre in Gandhinagar for Learning Disabilities Certification. There assessments and psychotherapies and rehabilitations for the special populations like Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Autistic Spectrum Disorders, Mental Retardation etc..
- It also provides psychological assessment and management for Depression, Anxiety, Neuropsychological disorders and other psychiatric disorders
- It functions under the trained clinical psychology licensed holder faculties who provide supervised skills and training to the students.
- There is a laboratory with a wide variety of tools for Psychological assessment and neuropsychological tests that can be utilized for learning, practice and research purposes.
- Besides, postings in Buddha Psychological Centre, students are also posted in different Hospitals including Hospital for Mental Health, Ahemdabad.
M.Phil clinical psychology is the only course which provides eligibility to practice as licensed clinical psychologists in the country; hence, after completion of this course, the trainees will be eligible to apply for registration certificate from RCI (Rehabilitation Council of India) and can practice as a qualified Clinical Psychologists anywhere within the country. The professionals can work in the various institutions/ organizations/ hospitals. Also, such professionals can apply for teaching positions in academia and in the fields of mental health, research &development organizations.