Toxicology is a branch of biology, chemistry and pharmacology concerned with the study of the adverse effects of substances on living organisms. It is the study of harmful effects of chemical, biological and physical agents in biological systems that cause damage in living organisms up to different extent. It includes environmental agents and chemical compounds found in nature, as well as pharmaceutical and other compounds that are synthesized for medical and other purposes by humans. These substances may produce toxic effects in living organisms including disturbance in growth patterns, discomfort, disease and/or death. The goal of toxicity studies/ assessment is to identify adverse effects of substances.
The aim of the programs is to provide technical knowledge, competence and research skills in the field of toxicology and management of poisoning cases and how they can apply these skills in emerging areas concern with health, environment and forensics.
In toxicology programs, all courses will provide a sharper focus in the field of Toxicology, they all are practical in nature, uniquely embedded for the expert knowledge in all area of toxicology which will have great demand in various industries viz Quality Testing and Control Board in private and government sectors like Health Protection Agency, Food Standards Agency, Pollution Control Boards, Environmental Toxicology Specialist/ Ecologist, Organic Section Manager in Pesticide Manufacturing Units, Safety Specialist like Health and Safety Executive in Hotels and Corporate Sectors, Toxicologist /Research Scientist at Poisons Information Centers and research laboratories to diagnose and manage poisoning cases, Disaster management and control sector, Food Scientist in food and its product manufacturing sectors to assess quality of food, Drug Inspector to prevent trafficking of illicit drug, Independent Toxicologist as consultant and advisor, Pharmaceutical industries for testing the toxic effects of newly manufactured drug, as Faculty in Toxicology and Forensic Toxicologist in Forensic Science Laboratory.
2 Years (4 Semesters)
Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry/Biology/ Environmental Sciences/Biochemistry/ Biotechnology/ Forensic Sciences/Medicine /Pharmacy with at least 55% or equivalent marks for General/OBC (NCL)/EWS category candidates, and 50% or equivalent marks for SC/ST and PwD category candidates.
Rs. 40,000/- Per Semester + Other University fees
Number of Seats
Semester – I
1. MTOX SI P1 Essentials of Toxicology
2. MTOX SI P2 Instrumentation
3. MTOX SI P3 Human Physiology
4. MTOX SI P4 Food Toxicology
5. MTOX SI P5 Forensic Science and Law
6. MTOX SI LCI Laboratory Course I
Semester – II
1. MTOX SII P1 Environmental and Occupational Toxicology
2. MTOX SII P2 Analytical Toxicology
3. MTOX SII P3 Systemic Toxicology
4. MTOX SII P4 Forensic Toxicology and Pharmacology
5. MTOX SII P5 Regulatory Toxicology
6. MTOX SII LCII Laboratory Course II
Semester – III
1. MTOX SIII P1 Developmental and Genetic Toxicology
2. MTOX SIII P2 Mechanistic Toxicology
3. MTOX SIII P3 Clinical Toxicology and Health Care Management
4. MTOX SIII P4 Applied Toxicology
5. MTOX SIII P5 Elective: Research Methodology and Communication in Scientific Re-search/Biostatistics and Bioinformatics/ Pharmacotoxicology/Pesticide and Metal Toxi-cology/ Molecular Toxicology
6. MTOX SIII LCII Laboratory Course III
Semester – IV
1. MTOX SIV MP Major Project
The University has full-fledged Training and Placements Cell which provides placement assistance for internship as well as job placement to the students. The Training and Placement Cell works rigorously throughout the year, arranging placements for the students, in various sectors. Most of the students from these courses received good internship offer with stipend.
Since toxicology programs are newly launched however in other programs, our students get placed at reputed multinational companies and government organizations. Average placement for two courses is 80%; Average stipend offered was 25000/- INR and average package offered was 8 Lakh per annum.